Monthly Archives: June 2016
Remodeling ideas are often presented as awesome ways for you to modernize and innovate your home’s interior and keep it up to date with the latest styles, fixtures, designs and convenience in home improvement. Instead of selling your home and moving into a new one, try remodeling your home’s interior to upgrade the features you are looking for in a new house. Renovation can be less expensive in the long run, considering huge realtor commissions and all the other fees that are associated with selling and buying a new home. So don’t bother giving away a home equity to other people and use the money for your home’s benefit.
Home interior enhancements may include remodeling and upgrading existing equipments inside your house such as cabinets, doors, lights, kitchen appliances, bathroom fixtures and so much more. Remodeling can happen anywhere from your home’s attic to the basement and may also include the removal of non load bearing wall, home water filter system, adding a wall and etc.
Improving your Kitchen’s Design and Functionality
Modernizing your kitchen enhances its function and also makes it more convenient. Here are easy things you can do to increase the value of your residential property.
· Cabinets. Refacing kitchen cabinets is an economical way for you to increase its value and enhance your kitchen’s functionality. Refacing is only about fifty percent of the cost for a total cabinet replacement. Refacing can come in several forms like replacing door cabinets with glass inserts, wood, and laminates. It can also mean removing some doors or repainting it for a more modern look and feel.
· Hardware. Adding or replacing hardware to kitchen drawers and cabinets is a quick fix and straight forward method for you to upgrade your kitchen cabinets. Replacing the hardware that came along with cabinets will help reflect an owner’s tastes and is also an affordable way of increasing your kitchen’s monetary value.
· Lighting. Replace your existing light fixtures with modern lighting models. Old lighting fixtures gets discolored and eventually become outdated.
· Faucet. Install a nice, elegant and water sufficient faucet on your sink. Choosing the right faucet enhances the overall look of any kitchen.
Upgrading your Bedroom’s Function and Design
Adults tend to spend so much of their time in their bedroom for resting, sleeping and other activities. Kids also spend a lot of time in their rooms watching TV, playing computer games and so much more.
· Ceiling fans. These are efficient energy saving fixtures that enable air condition temperatures to be set higher and heated temperatures set lower. You only need a special brace inserted into a ceiling opening for its installation.
· Flooring. Replace your room’s carpet with high quality hardwood floors and laminates.
· Skylights. These fixtures can transform the atmosphere of a room. Natural sunlight helps brighten up a room and gazing at the dark star filled sky is an awesome past time.
Home Improvement Project Planning and Design
Where to begin
So you’ve decided to make some home improvements. It is an exciting prospect to upgrade and bring your home closer to the image of your dream home. Begin by considering the changes you want to make. You may already have an idea of the things you want to improve, but now’s the time to fine-tune your ideas.
Think about how your home already supports the way you live, and which existing elements you really like. Write down each item you want to keep, and what you want to change. This will not only help you prioritize the projects you take on first, it will also help you better define the details of each project. No matter how large or small your project, planning is crucial. Developing a detailed plan will insure that your project runs smoothly forward and that your results will be a success. Having a clear image in your mind of what you want to achieve will help guide you in the steps you must take to attain your goal.
Determine your goal
Once you know the project that you want to take on first, you can begin to make decisions about what you want to change. The more clearly you can envision what you want to achieve, the better prepared you’ll be in making necessary decisions;Think about traffic patterns, furniture placement and size, colors, lighting and how you plan to use the remodeled space. Draw out your completed idea to get a clear picture of what you hope to accomplish.
You probably have a basic idea of how much you want to invest in your home improvement project, so base your estimate on that budget. Nothing is more disappointing than not having enough money to finish the entire project, so plan well, beginning with the most costly or most important items. To get a good idea of material cost, simply check out your neighborhood home improvement center. If you have any questions or concerns, most of their employees are able to either give you answers or guide you to someone who can. When pricing your necessary materials, remember to include any hardware and finishing products you might need. Don’t forget nails, adhesives, tape, stencils or paint.
Gather your tools
Be sure that you have the proper tools available before you start. If your current toolkit does not have certain specialty tools to do the job properly, you might have to invest in them to complete your project. You could also consider borrowing or renting them. Some jobs might also require two people for safety reasons, so you will need to line up additional help before you work on that part.
Consider Eco Friendly Building
Green remodeling is a sound choice, for both, a healthier life and as an investment in your home. Currently, in traditional construction, indoor air quality is often worse than outdoor air, due to various building materials, inadequate lighting, and a variety of other variables. Some eco friendly choices do require purchasing special equipment or materials, but many upgrades are just a matter of knowing the most environmentally conscious choice to make. Using recycled materials where available, (glass, stone, plastics), choosing carpet low in Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC), and installing more efficient, low water plumbing fixtures are a few Green options that cost little or no more than the non-Green.
Anticipate your needs
Most home improvement projects require a variety of different skills. If there is a task that requires more skill than you have and you would feel more comfortable with expert guidance or proficiency, a contractor can usually do just the portion of the job that you are unable to handle for a portion of the cost of the entire project. You might consider hiring a plumber, electrician or heating specialist, or even a general handyman for a job that requires additional manpower.
Hiring a Contractor
If you do plan on hiring a contractor, you must get a written contract. A good contract includes a detailed description of the project, start and expected completion dates, labor and material costs, and any warranties of workmanship. Including a right to cancel clause of three business days is a good idea. The more detailed you make your contract, the less room for problems you will allow.
Before you actually start tearing down walls or running electrical wire, check with your local or state building department to learn if your project requires a building permit. A building permit is a license required by city code that grants legal permission to construct, enlarge, alter, repair or demolish a structure or equipment installed in a building. If you are working with a contractor, find out if his services include obtaining permits.
So now, you know where to begin. Following these guidelines will help insure that your home renovations will advance without any unnecessary hitches or unfortunate surprises, whether you are doing internal remodeling and upgrades, or external maintenance and repair. With the correct preparation, and taking it a step at a time, your dream home will not be just a dream!
Different home improvement ideas have been discussed time and again, but there are very few that can match up to the impact created by a wonderful landscape, on a house. Even though landscaping has been projected as a specialized field and requires expertise, there are many wonderful and easy ways of enhancing the beauty of your home through a great landscape. The peace and tranquility that a landscape gives is much more than any other man made comfort that is present in today’s world. In these times, when greenery is fast disappearing and making way for grey concrete structures and glass facades, spending some time and money on increasing the landscape of your home is indeed a noble way of respecting mother nature.
A few ideas that can beautify your home, especially if you have a garden of your own are listed below:
1. An outdoor lawn: A lawn has often been considered to be the first step towards a good landscape. No doubt, since the green carpet that would adorn the front of your home is indeed a very welcome sight. To ensure that your lawn is healthy, all you have to do is to mow it atleast twice a week. Ensure that the mower blades are in good shape. You can use home made manure for the grass, but make sure that it is not very visible, as such manure can tend to decompose faster than industrial manure and cause stinks. Watering your lawn depends on the type of soil available; hence check out the water retention quality of the soil in your garden before embarking on a watering schedule.
2. Water fountains: These are another type of enhancing tool for your landscape. These come in a bit expensive, so you will have to pick your choice from among the different varieties available in the market. If you have the budget to use a solar powered fountain, then you have done the energy saving cause a great favor.
3. Gazebos with canopies: This is also a very nice way of improving the overall visibility of the garden. These come in different sizes and you can choose one that fits your garden and does not seem too big or too small.
4. Additional greenery: You can decide on your own or even use the services of a horticulturist to determine the type of foliage that would grow in your soil. Once this is decided, go in for creepers and flowering plants, especially those with bright colored flowers. The visual impact of such additions not only gives others a good sight to behold, but also makes sure that you feel peaceful and comfortable in such an atmosphere.
These simple and effective steps can give you comfort to the levels that you can seldom imagine, apart from doing the nature a big help by giving it back what we as human beings have been taking from it for so many years.